An Alternative Early America ...

A discussion room for all those states that have their settings outside of the classical 18th Century

An Alternative Early America ...

Postby GamesPoet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 am

In my first post on this forum on the "Welcome" thread, mentioned I had begun exploring the idea of creating an Imagi-nations campaign. Been doing some reading and research, and there's likely plenty more of that in front of me, but most of this has begun to take shape around the history of Early America. I say "Early America" because the focus has been mostly on the northeastern part of North America, yet at the same time I am also interested in the rest of the western hemisphere as well.

However, following upon Stokes Schwartz's article on "keeping fictious wargame projects alive", found on Henry Hydes website towards the bottom of the following link, March 6th, 2012 ... http://henrys-wargaming.co.uk/?cat=11 ... I've begun to develop a framework for moving the idea forward.

More to follow very soon ...
GamesPoet
Musketier

Re: An Alternative Early America ...

Postby GamesPoet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:15 am

First up, why "Early America"?

When I was a youngster in early grammar school, I was fascinated with history. When reading a biography on George Washington, I learned for the first time of the French and Indian War. Discovering the colonial history prior to the American Revolution has since been very interesting to me.

While in college I took a graduate course in my senior year on Constitutional development, and did a research paper on my home state’s representatives to the Constitutional Convention of 1783. I did some reading on how these individuals represented their state at the convention and how the cultural background of those views inflluenced their representation, which began opening my eyes further to early colonial history in North America. After college, I took a long period of time away from the military miniatures hobby, and although there was an ongoing interest in the colonial past, even that had minimal time spent with it.

Since getting back into this hobby in early 2008, I have once again begun to gravitate towards the time period of Colonial America, although not that this is my only area of interest in the hobby, but I'll save the rest for other times. In the summer of 2009, I bought my first copy of Wargames Illustrated which has an article by Barry Hilton on Quebec 1690, and I’m looking forward to a time when I can play through the scenarios, one historical and two imaginary, that he provided there. And when attending Historicon 2010, I picked up a copy of Kyle Zelner’s “A Rabble in Arms: Massachusetts Towns and Militiamen during King Phillip’s War (Warfare and Culture)”, which is a fascinating study of how one colony's cultural attitudes helped creat its militia, and seemingly not in the way some of the myths tell the story.

So as one can see, my childhood interest in the French and Indian War has now expanded further back into the colonial era. And in keeping with my desire to have military miniatures that can be used for both historical simulations and imaginary games as well, plus my current focus on constructing and painting Wargames Factory’s generic WoSS figures, I’ve begun to think in terms of King William’s War in America as my starting point. My reading and research has begun to lay the ground work for what I am currently calling “An Alternative Early America”, I hope to update folks further as to how this is progressing, and intend to share more soon regarding some recent developments that have been occurring.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am

keep us posted , a very interesting project
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby abdul666lw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:25 am

How 'alternate' are you ready to go?
No Vinlanders, for instance, I guess?
Phil "WRG" Barker even had post-Arthurian Britons as the first Europeans settling in the Island of Naomh Breandán
http://mcristobylacew-abdul666.blogspot.fr/2007/08/oversea-colonies-one-step-further.html

Now, staying 'almost historical' in the (gamed) North East does not prevent from being more 'imaginative' in the background, e.g. as in John Maddox Roberts' 'King of the Wood' a large Sino-Mongol colony in the East and a successor (bloodthirsty) Aztec Empire... And maybe the Russians already landed in Alaska?
aka Cardinal Johan-Ludwig von Hausseinem in Christofberg, Elector Spiritual of the Reich of the Germans
aka Louys de Monte-Cristo
http://mcristobylacew-abdul666.blogspot.com/
abdul666lw
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 am

I remember Phil telling me about his Fenrian fusliers.. they had imagination armies in plastic..Airfix George Washington as I remember ,, that they used to playtest their late '70s horse and Musket rules..
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby abdul666lw » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Yes, in a letter (we were corresponding about the future 6th Ed of the Ancient - Medieval rules by then; he kindly mentioned me in the 'Fantasy extras', though actually I had very little input) Phil described these fusiliers in orange coat.
aka Cardinal Johan-Ludwig von Hausseinem in Christofberg, Elector Spiritual of the Reich of the Germans
aka Louys de Monte-Cristo
http://mcristobylacew-abdul666.blogspot.com/
abdul666lw
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 pm

yep orange coat red facings..
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby GamesPoet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:33 am

abdul666lw wrote:How 'alternate' are you ready to go?

Initially I'll be keeping things small and then see how things develop from there. At first the forces will include figures to represent French and Colonials, some native Indians, and eventually some British. This works with my desire to use the figures for more historical interests as well.

No Vinlanders, for instance, I guess?

This has been considered, yet we'll see. More likely to add Dutch, perhaps Swedish, maybe others.

Phil "WRG" Barker even had post-Arthurian Britons as the first Europeans settling in the Island of Naomh Breandán
http://mcristobylacew-abdul666.blogspot.fr/2007/08/oversea-colonies-one-step-further.html

Now, staying 'almost historical' in the (gamed) North East does not prevent from being more 'imaginative' in the background, e.g. as in John Maddox Roberts' 'King of the Wood' a large Sino-Mongol colony in the East and a successor (bloodthirsty) Aztec Empire... And maybe the Russians already landed in Alaska?

Interesting. Not sure I'll go in this direction, and probably not. Beside, I'm just one person, with multiple interests in the military miniatures hobby, and beyond it, so it comes down to balancing multiple things when making such choices.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby GamesPoet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:15 am

Working from Schwartz’s article linked in my initial post, his first principle is, “be realistic.” He seems to be referring to a person measuring things like the amount of time, money, and energy that they have to put into the project. Since having relatively limited amounts of all three, I’ll be keeping immediate resources expended to a minimum. Initially focusing on the northeastern portion of North America, with “An Alternative Early America” as the time period, I can keep my purchases, painting, and modeling to a relatively small scale at first, which can give a sense of the period without an immediate need for large scale armies and scenery, to be created and collected.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:57 pm

good points
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Return to Imagi-Nations not of the 18th Century.