A History of Herzogtum of Braunbrucke-Altmondburg & Hochufer

The vast and expansive home for the Imagi-Nation states . Please request a room of your very own, to post the history of your state..hang pictures from the wall..all the delights..

A History of Herzogtum of Braunbrucke-Altmondburg & Hochufer

Postby GamesPoet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 pm

The following has sprung up from my sudden interest in possibly doing a 15mm army for use with the rules called “Maurice”, and perhaps even “Might and Reason”, intially because there is another local gamer that is creating a small force for use with “Maurice”, and to go with the Imagi-Nations concept. He’s using a Seven Years War, French flavor for his army, and I’ve decided to contrast that with a northerly German flavor, patterned from Hanoverians, Brunswickers, and Hessians. Besides, I’ve become a bit curious regarding the campaigns of the Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick-Luneburg, and could see myself perhaps using the figures in a historical direction as well, but we’ll see. Perhaps this will be used as a backround for 28mm, too.

The Herzogtum of Braunbrucke-Altmondburg and the City of Hochufer

A Short History From Back Then, and Up To The 18th Century ...

The Herzogtum of Braunbrucke-Altmondburg was founded upon two communities with histories that date back to early times. The town of Braunbrucke was originally called Braunkuhefurt, back when local herdsmen with their native brown cows would use the broad shallow ford over the River Grenz to travel between the hills to the south and onto their destination at the village of Abwicklung located further north on the River Salzlick. The latter became known as Mondburg when a small castle with a tall tower was built there by an early medieval astronomer. However, the Church soon caught up with him, the castle burned down, and then the town’s name was changed a third time to Altmondburg.

Meanwhile, down at the river crossing, a small community of merchants sprang up to service the traffic there. A bridge was eventually built over the river, and it wasn’t long before the other town then came by its current name. As Braunbrucke continued to grow, it’s importance as a trade center also expanded, complete with trade along the river, and soon this found itself in competition with the interests of the nobles and the religious leaders of Altmondburg. As the Renaissance arrived, this long running dispute had continued, which gave rise to the so-called “War of Dukes and Prelates”, and the result of which eventually saw the two towns being combined into the same Herzogtum.

From that day, and forward to the present, both towns now co-operate politically and financially with each town’s ruling family appointing a number of representatives to the regional governing body called “The Council of Braunbrucke-Altmondburg”. The two towns take turns each spring in hosting the annual month long gathering of nobles and merchant leaders, each trying to outdo the other from the year before with athletic contests, festivals, music, opera, and theater. And although the priests of the region now tend towards keeping their focus more on spiritual matters, the Bishop of the Cathedral of St. Peter in Altmondburg seems to have some influence among the ruling elite, while the more moderate Protestant affiliations headquartered in Braunbrucke seem to spread themselves across various segments of the middle class.

As for the City of Hochufer, currently part of the Herzogtum of Braunbruke-Altmondburg, it has a history that dates back to the time of the Dierollan Imperium. The city takes its name from the location where a fort was built at the edge of the Imperium’s expansion that overlooks the River Reihe. During the Medieval era a ferry was put in place, below the point where a small castle had been constructed to replace the ruins of the ancient Dierollan fort. However, with the emergence of the Renaissance, as well as the growth of barge trade on the River Reihe, the castle was turned into a palace, and ever since, each Herzog of Braundruke-Altmondorf has accordingly made his residence in the City of Hochufer. The troops of Hochufer and the surrounding countyside make up the bulk of the Herzogtum’s army, while both Braunbruke and Altmondburg provide their traditional contingents. This makes for a variety in uniforms and combinations of units that periodically make up the regional armies of the times.

Military Units of Braunbruke-Altmondburg and the City of Hochufer, Beginning of Late 18th Century

From Braunbruke:
Braunbruke Infantry Regiment
Braunbruke Grenadier Regiment
Braunbruke Dragoons (2 regiments)
Braunbruke Artillery (2 batteries, 12lbs and howiters)
Braunbruke Hussar Regiment (light cavalry)

From Altmondburg:
Altmonburg Infantry (2 regiments)
Altmonburg Grenadier Regiment
Altmondburg Guard Infantry Regiment
Altmondburg Dragoon Regiment
Altmondburg Heavy Cavalry Regiment
Altmondburg Artillery (3 batteries, 12lbs, 6lbs, mortars)
Altmondburg Horse Militia (light cavalry)

From Hochufer:
Hochuferian Musketeers (5 regiments)
Hochuferian Guard Infantry Regiment
Hochuferian Dragoon (3 regiments)
Hochuferian Cuirassier Regiment (3 regiments)
Hochuferian Guard Cavalry
Hochuferian Artillery (2 batteries, 24lbs, and 12lbs)
Hochuferian Jagers (2 regiments)
Hochuferian Horse Jagers Regiment
Hochuferian Hussars
GamesPoet
Musketier

Re: A History of Herzogtum of Braunbrucke-Altmondburg & Hoch

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:03 pm

good one
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby akula_au » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

So is the intention to dress the army in the same colours or will you be using Red & Blue for different parts of the army?
akula_au
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 pm

you could get David of NBA to do the colours, standards and guidons..
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby GamesPoet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm

akula_au wrote:So is the intention to dress the army in the same colours or will you be using Red & Blue for different parts of the army?

I kind of like the idea of having the imagi-nations figures being used for historical purposes, too.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby GamesPoet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Cardinal Hawkwood wrote:you could get David of NBA to do the colours, standards and guidons..

Does he do both 15mm and 28mm?
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby GamesPoet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:12 pm

By the way ...

There's an effort underway to get a 15mm Maurice campaign going relatively locally. I've introduced the idea of using The HoB-AH, and might order a few handfuls of Friekorp 15mm Hanoverians for a start on some Hochufer units. But current priorities are preventing an immediate move in this direction, so we'll see how it goes.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:47 pm

GamesPoet wrote:
Cardinal Hawkwood wrote:you could get David of NBA to do the colours, standards and guidons..

Does he do both 15mm and 28mm?

whatever you want..he does
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby GamesPoet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 am

2014 has begun!

And so has a return to my Imagi-Nations project!

I purchased the first issue of the "Glory of Kings" newsletter, read it, and was inspired. As a result, I've been giving more consideration to the creation of additional information for the imaginary world of the Braunbrucke-Altmondburg & Hochufer. And therefore, a slight revision of the historical backround is now underway, as well as a draft of the glossary of place names with descriptions.

At some point I really need to begin painting up some figures for these places, and I'm thinking of focusing on some sort of small struggle internal to the Herzogtum. This way I can stay focused on the broader development of the over all Braunbrucke-Altmonburg & Hochufer military for eventual use in a larger conflict, and yet still get some figures on the table for playing some "Maurice" as soon as I can. And of course picking up an appropriate camera for taking pictures will also need to occur ... lol.

Then we shall see!
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby GamesPoet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:40 am

Well it is now 2015!

Not much ground covered with my imagi-nations last year, and so far maybe alittle bit more this year. I've begun adding to the background history, and provided english tranlations of various place names. Even gave the SYW era Duchy a leader with a name ... Herzog & Prinz Anreise Heldentat von Braunbruke-Altmonburg.

There are so many other things and priorities going on in life, not sure when I'll really be able to put a solid effort into this project.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Return to The Great Chamber of Cartography and Topography