Maurice , a first game

The place to discuss all matters pertaining to the general discussions of the Imagi-Nation states and worlds..,counties duchys and whatever..and those matters of a general nature that so enthrall us all..

Maurice , a first game

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Having played my first game on sunday and I have to say i am impressed.. I can see it is a very useful set of rules that with little or no adapting will let one do any number of things.As an observation it seems to me to be an army level set. It feels right to think of it at that level. there is a sort of swirling sense of action..you commander has an awful lot to do and rarely does he get the chance to do more than on thing. you have to think things through, keep everything tight.. long grand tactical flanking sweeps are possible but take up a lot of time and effort.don't have a hill a forest and town between your commander and your strike arm is a worthy lesson learnt early, and for a time probably often.
The cards are excellent, they bring a dimension to the game not usually encountered in tabletop battles unless you let me control your airstrikes in a Rapid-fire game.. those who have played in my games know what that means. They don't stop you doing things, they may just put a bit of a different spin on them.It is best to keep things simple as they will become a bit complicated anyway. As they say no battle plan survives the first move..and I can say that now with some authority.
While there is nothing to stop you thinking of your units as battalions they really don't behave in a battalion level way. I think i would like to try out a high quality compact force,in an attack they would be deadly , and easier to control.( a yet to be proved theory)
I had , of course read the spots off the rules but true to my teaching experience you don't really learn anything until you actually do it..and learn I did.
I saw Sunday's game as a battle of about 100,000 a side and exciting it was.
I actually don't think 28mm is particularly well suited capturing the sense of the rules . I do think 10mm is excellent and am contemplating how to go about it. I have been blu tacking figures bases to get a visual feel for the look of the game. I am thinking 50 x 50mm with 24 figures in 3 ranks , though I may be able to get 30 on a base and I intend to think of each base representing a brigade of 3-4 battalions therefore a base represents around 2.400 effectives. I may try 3 or 4 pairs of colours per base, a brigadier at the back ..though there should be room to have a pair,or more, of officers and drummers grouped behind the colours so I might be able to get it up to 38 foot and one mounted on a base, 4 bases to a column(division) I don't have enough cavalry to mock up a column of cavalry probably looking at 20 mounted on a base representing 2 large or 3-4 small regiments in a brigade.
When looked at in this rather macro scale the sometimes mayhem, sometimes serendipitous nature of the cards assumes a more reasonably understood perspective and makes greater sense of the notable, which we didn't use in this game.
At a little more than 4 pounds a base this is a quite economical approach.
I haven't discussed the mechanics of the rules here and wouldn't like to attempt such a thing at this moment .Maurice sits very well within my (basic)ideology of a table top game being a series of problem solving exercises, and it is definitely fun.It may be a bit of a problem for those who prefer to be omniscient player invested with total control of all units on the table.
By conrad_hawkwood at 2012-08-20
By conrad_hawkwood at 2012-08-20
Two shots of the start of Sunday's most enjoyable game.. lost decisively by myself and that good man Rhino
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Re: Maurice , a first game

Postby Big Martin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for that. I downloaded the "lite" version for a try out to see if I'd go for the whole set but, with my table packed up to be able to use my guest bed, I've not given it a go as yet.
Tutenes? Atque cujus exercitus?
Big Martin
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm

it is quite interesting to say the least..we were 3 never played with 1 who had played a number of games..it helps to have somebody who has played there for your first game
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby GamesPoet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 am

I'm looking forward to giving these rules a go at some point, but I've got lots of figures that need painting first. Everything seen so far seems to say these are well worth using, and they sound like lots of fun.
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby wardlaw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 am

Thank you for the précis. I have the full set and cards, and will be keen to give them a go (hoping for a chance at the regular club night on Thursday). Deceided that they would be good for my 6mm Marlburian forces - 84-man battalions and all. I do need to up the number of cavalry bases I am painting though...
wardlaw
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm

more pics

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Postby GamesPoet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:46 am

The figures look great in those closeup shots!
GamesPoet
Musketier

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 am

GamesPoet wrote:The figures look great in those closeup shots!

many thanks..we worked it out that there was a small fortunes worth of figures on the table over the two days.In this second game I used my own troops..all units bar one painted also by me..and only two actual "real" units took to the table in the entire weekend , everything else was Imagi-nation
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber

Return to The Chamber of State