ACW Union Troops - a question about colour

Everything else in the 19th Century until the end of the second Boer War

Re: ACW Union Troops - a question about colour

Postby David_W » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm

GP

I am thinking mid to late war and 15mm, so those nuances are probably not going to loom large. :-)

Thx

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby Sidders » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Add some variation DW, my god don't go by the romantic fantasy artists impressions. Don Troiani would have us believe that whole battalions marched into battle straight from the dry cleaners, rubbish! Read a few extracts from the participants, the war in the wilderness was a grubby affair as was Trans Mississippi.

The west/wilderness theatre is the way to go here IMO, rich history and a lot more interesting than the static slaughter of the east.
“What's the use you learning to do right , when it's troublesome to do right and it ain't no trouble to do wrong, and the wages is just the same?”
Sidders
Wachtmeister

Postby Sidders » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

The one stop resource for everything you will ever want to know acw

http://www.morningsidebooks.com/
“What's the use you learning to do right , when it's troublesome to do right and it ain't no trouble to do wrong, and the wages is just the same?”
Sidders
Wachtmeister

Postby GamesPoet » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 pm

David_W wrote:GP

I am thinking mid to late war and 15mm, so those nuances are probably not going to loom large. :-)

I'm not opposed to folks who like the uniformed look, and it actually doesn't bother me to paint them. However, keep in mind that folks like the Iron Brigade, Irish Brigade, and some Zouave units (like the 14th Brooklyn/84th NY ... 28mm figures now available for these through Sash & Saber) used their uniforms right into the middle war period if not the late war period as well. Yet since your going the 15mm route, I can understand why its going to be as it might be, although even there you can probably break it up with some Irons and Zouaves if its too boring. Doubt many will be overly critical if using Longstreet and running a campaign with the campaign rules. If someone does, suspect it can be handled appropriately.
George Washington: "Happiness and moral duty are inseperably connected."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there are pains to bring it to light."

"War - An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will."

GamesPoet
Obrist

Postby GamesPoet » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Sidders wrote:The one stop resource for everything you will ever want to know acw

http://www.morningsidebooks.com/

Good to have this!

"War - An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will."

GamesPoet
Obrist

Postby Sidders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 pm

GamesPoet wrote: ........edit: Doubt many will be overly critical if using Longstreet and running a campaign with the campaign rules. If someone does, suspect it can be handled appropriately.

To prevent a derailment of the thread I shall repost my response to the above in the Mess.

DW I have a small library on acw any help you need with uniforms etc. very willing to scan for you, you have my email I beleive.
Sidders
Wachtmeister

Postby GamesPoet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Just picked up the Macmillian Color Series' "Uniforms of the Civil War, 1861-1865" by Phillip Haythornthwaite. Its got 65 pages of ACW uniforms in there! It reminded me of how much variation there actually was.

GamesPoet
Obrist

Previous

Return to The Age of Empire,Independence ,Civil War and of Expansion 1816-1902