Question Pertaining to the Arcane arts of ACW Basing

Everything else in the 19th Century until the end of the second Boer War

Question Pertaining to the Arcane arts of ACW Basing

Postby David_W » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Gentlemen

I getting bunch of assembled Perry plastics from the Cardinal but being the impaitent little bugger I am, I picked up a couple of boxes so I could start looking at basing. I have a few assembled [and glue all over my clumsy fingers :-( ]so I can start thinking about how many figures per base. I am looking at 50mm bases square and considering 4, 5 or maybe 6 figures per base.

My question is what do people with ACW 28mm think - 4, 5 or 6 infantry per base?

I am tempted by 4 figures as it should give a loose look to the lines and I doubt if in close order, in the field, that ACW infantry were shoulder to shoulder (which 6 figures would require)
thank you

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Re: Question Pertaining to the Arcane arts of ACW Basing

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:42 pm

on a 50? 6 looks best

"We're playing a wargame not making a documentary." The Cardinal's 3rd Maxim

http://acorporalsguard.weebly.com/
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby Bluewillow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:41 pm

acw I think looks better looser I think,

what rules will you be using?

cheers
Matt
SCA is a full-contact martial sport where twenty-year-old athletes can routinely get thrashed by forty-year-olds with a big gut and no knees!
Bluewillow
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby Penda » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:28 pm

I'd go for 40 x 40mm with 4 figs myself as it fits most 28mm rule sets.
"There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/
The Hoche-Affeburg order of the Wombat 1st Class , with Acacia, for services to Wargaming
Penda
Kuirassier

Postby GamesPoet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Yep, its the ACW. I use 40x40mm with 4 to a base, perhaps in some spots I might use 3. Even if 50x50mm were used, 6 would still look too 18th century, which the 1860s were not. There are those that use a ragged line look with an odd number of figures, or 4 with them sometimes not completely centered up in neat lines, and it more approximates what seems to have been seen on an ACW battlefield. The only time they might have been close ranked might be in column on a narrow road or while on parade before marching off for a good ole fashion donnybrook. And although that might be a bit of an exaggeration, the further a unit got away from a road, and the more casualties the unit took, it seems the less likely their battle line would look all 18th century.
George Washington: "Happiness and moral duty are inseperably connected."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there are pains to bring it to light."

"War - An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will."

GamesPoet
Obrist

Postby David_W » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Chris, Matt, Penda & GP

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding rules; "Longstreet" with Black Pwoder as an optional reserve (reagdless of what people may layabout their roots, they work). I have played two games of Longstreet with the esteemed Brigadier Hopkins and his New York brigades. These gutter sweepings routed my Virginia gentlemen in both games. However, using the Longstreet campaign rules, and my connections on editorial desk of the "Richmond Times", my personal standing rocketed ahead of Brigadier Hopkins. Given few more convincing defeats I should shortly be given my own division :-)

40mm square with 4 infantry is good move for Longstreet. I assume we are talking about 2 cavalry on that base? My only reservation is that for Longstreet, you should have 1 gun on the same frontage as an infantry base and 1 gun per 40mm may look a tad cramped. So, I will reserve final decision until I have a couple of guns. I now Perry are working on plastic guns, but the cost saving seems to be minimal.

Thanks again fro you thoughts guys. Appreciated.

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't think they are that loose, 4 to 50mmx 50mm base..5 would be the minimum in my book..sure jag them around a bit but 6 to a base

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:36 pm

David_W wrote:Chris, Matt, Penda & GP

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding rules; "Longstreet" with Black Pwoder as an optional reserve (reagdless of what people may layabout their roots, they work). I have played two games of Longstreet with the esteemed Brigadier Hopkins and his New York brigades. These gutter sweepings routed my Virginia gentlemen in both games. However, using the Longstreet campaign rules, and my connections on editorial desk of the "Richmond Times", my personal standing rocketed ahead of Brigadier Hopkins. Given few more convincing defeats I should shortly be given my own division :-)

40mm square with 4 infantry is good move for Longstreet. I assume we are talking about 2 cavalry on that base? My only reservation is that for Longstreet, you should have 1 gun on the same frontage as an infantry base and 1 gun per 40mm may look a tad cramped. So, I will reserve final decision until I have a couple of guns. I now Perry are working on plastic guns, but the cost saving seems to be minimal.

David W

I don't think you will get a gun or 2 cavalry on a 40 ml frontage.Once upon a time with minuifgs 30 years ago perhaps.not these days

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby David_W » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:58 pm

And if any of you have ACW lead or plastic you no longer want, drop me a line.

Thanks

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby GamesPoet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:40 am

David_W wrote:Chris, Matt, Penda & GP

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep, an artillery piece does look alittle cramped on a 40mm base width, but its doable. The problem is where to put the figures. I most likely won't use 40mm x 40mm though, and although my artillery is currently unbased, 40mm could work for width, but probably not depth to get the figures on it. I could see using 50mm x 50mm base anyway for the artillery, but for rules like "Longstreet" just keep the standard movement as being the 40mm base width anyway. However, I'm toying with 40mm x 60mm, or 40mm x 80mm, the latter might feel right because of an artillery unit taking up a lot of space with its horses and gun carriage anyway. Not that I'd mount all of that on the same base, not my point. I'm talking depth of an actual unit compared to an infantry line. And thats not to say they were always close by, the caissons seemingly needed to be, but the horses were probably more often brought further back. These kinds of things tend to be a personal choice though so as long as one is happy, thats what counts.

I haven't mounted any cavalry on a base yet, but yes, 2 per base. I've only done dismounted cavalry so far for them, and them being on foot, I'm using 3 or 4 there as well, just like the infantry.
George Washington: "Happiness and moral duty are inseperably connected."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there are pains to bring it to light."

"War - An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will."

GamesPoet
Obrist

Next

Return to The Age of Empire,Independence ,Civil War and of Expansion 1816-1902