Moderator: Blackwolf

My hero..

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 am

from http://www.heritage-history.com/www/her ... ilicho.php
Stilicho
Flavius Stilicho
Era: Fall of Empire
359–408 Field of Renown: military: General

Stilicho was the last Roman general who effectively fought off the barbarians, before they overran the western empire. He was himself of barbarian stock. He was born in Germany, of Vandal descent, but he faithfully served Roman emperors his entire career, and even carried on several successful campaigns against the Vandal tribes who invaded northern Italy. He rose to prominence in the army under Theodosius and was appointed regent for Honorius, the young emporer who inherited the western throne when Theodosius died.
Although Stilicho effectively ran the western empire for the last years leading up to its conquest by the Visigoths, many of the worst problems of the empire preceded his reign and were beyond his control. The western empire had not had a strong leader since Constantine; the legions were not paid regularly and were constantly in rebellion, many of the border regions had been overrun by barbarians, and the economy was in disarray. Most of Stilicho's efforts went into beating back the invading barbarians, which he did very successfully, but he was not powerful enough to reverse the disintegration.
By 406 A.D. German tribes had overrun much of Gaul, and Stilicho was too busy defending Italy to resist them. There was no choice but to cede much of Roman territory in the West, including all of Britain. Worse yet, several of his contemporaries were suspicious of his intentions, and jealous of his success. Eventually Stilicho's enemies prevailed upon Honorius to arrange the assassination of the one man capable of saving Italy from the barbarian horde, on charges of treason. Two years later, Rome was sacked by Alaric and his Visigoths, and there was no military leadership powerful enough to resist them.
Visigoths leaving Italy

"We're playing a wargame not making a documentary." The Cardinal's 3rd Maxim

http://acorporalsguard.weebly.com/
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Re: My hero..

Postby starkadder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:59 pm

A severe disappointment to his people. Heretic.
This is the voice of world control. I bring you peace.
It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
The choice is yours: Obey me and live, or disobey and die.

"Shame on you, Bolt Action, shame."
starkadder
Rittmeister

Return to Dux Europa