Unit Organisations for 1944-45 Campaign in NWE

A place to discuss the ever popular Rapid Fire rules. A place where to ask questions and to seek answers.

Unit Organisations for 1944-45 Campaign in NWE

Postby David_W » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:52 am

Guys

I am having a look at the "standard" OBs in the above supplement and came across a small nomenclature issue I need clarified Namely, in the American TD Company list (page 34) it states that towed guns can be replaced with M10 etc "at an extra xx points per battery". I the other lists such upgrades or downgrades are costed per vehicle.

My understanding is that the points cost upgrade here is per towed gun. For example, to upgrade the 2 x towed 76mm AT to 2 x M10 would cost 16 pouts per towed gun, so a total of 32 points.

I also assume you can only upgrade the entire company not just one gun - so the company is 2 x towed guns, or 2 x M10 or 2 x 36 etc; not a mix.

Correct?

Thanks
David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Re: Unit Organisations for 1944-45 Campaign in NWE

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 am

whatever they say ,no mixing

"We're playing a wargame not making a documentary." The Cardinal's 3rd Maxim

http://acorporalsguard.weebly.com/
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby David_W » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Cardinal

Thanks, that's fine for the "no mixing" and makes perfect sense.

The first part of the question ws whether the "per battery" cost of upgrade applies to the entire company (i.e. 2 towed ATGs) or to each ATG.

thanks

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby David_W » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:49 pm

And the mtter is complicated as the American Artillery Battalion list (page 35) says to upgrade a "Battery" to 155mm costs 40 per battery - which would be 20 points per tube as "batteries" comprise 2 guns in this list.

Confused!

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby David_W » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Sorted!

on page 43 of the same supplement is the American Regimental Combat Team. It includes a TD Company with M10s. And the cost tells me that the upgrade from towed to SP is for the the whole company (sp, 16 points in total not 32).

PS: This is what I plan to build as my basic force then add a few bits suitable for the Normandy book - thanks to frontline Hobbies I now have all the infantry I need.

Thanks

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 pm

David_W wrote:Cardinal

Thanks, that's fine for the "no mixing" and makes perfect sense.

The first part of the question ws whether the "per battery" cost of upgrade applies to the entire company (i.e. 2 towed ATGs) or to each ATG.

thanks

David W

a battery is all the bits inside the box.

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:48 pm

David_W wrote:Sorted!

on page 43 of the same supplement is the American Regimental Combat Team. It includes a TD Company with M10s. And the cost tells me that the upgrade from towed to SP is for the the whole company (sp, 16 points in total not 32).

PS: This is what I plan to build as my basic force then add a few bits suitable for the Normandy book - thanks to frontline Hobbies I now have all the infantry I need.

Thanks

David W

40 points you probably don'r have any 81 mm mortars and the US box come without them.

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby David_W » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

1. Lost me old son! The reference to "40 points", I assume, refers to the cost of upgrading the TD company from towed 76mm to M10s. According to the "Rapid Fire First Supplement Unit Organisations for the 1944-45 campaign in NWE" (see pages 43 and 44) the towed 76mm TD company is 104 points and the M10 TD company is 120 points. That's 16 points, so unless the points have changed in later books, what did I miss? Would appreciate clarification on this one.

2. The valiant box comes with mortars which the enclosed org chart says are 81mm mortar, but they do look under sized, so I suspect they are as you right about the valiants Yanks not coming with 81mm mortars. The good news is they are not the only Yanks I have.

3. And the more I ooh at then Valiant figures, they are compared to the PSC and AB figures, enormous - I doubt if they would squeeze into a 20mm vehicles. I suspect they will be done graded to "reserve" status and replace with PSC with AB filling the gaps. Also, slightly disappoints ith the lack of detail on the figures which is a double shame as they are really nicely posed miniatures; very natural, and well proportioned.

Thanks

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm

David_W wrote:1. Lost me old son! The reference to "40 points", I assume, refers to the cost of upgrading the TD company from towed 76mm to M10s. According to the "Rapid Fire First Supplement Unit Organisations for the 1944-45 campaign in NWE" (see pages 43 and 44) the towed 76mm TD company is 104 points and the M10 TD company is 120 points. That's 16 points, so unless the points have changed in later books, what did I miss? Would appreciate clarification on this one.

2. The valiant box comes with mortars which the enclosed org chart says are 81mm mortar, but they do look under sized, so I suspect they are as you right about the valiants Yanks not coming with 81mm mortars. The good news is they are not the only Yanks I have.

3. And the more I ooh at then Valiant figures, they are compared to the PSC and AB figures, enormous - I doubt if they would squeeze into a 20mm vehicles. I suspect they will be done graded to "reserve" status and replace with PSC with AB filling the gaps. Also, slightly disappoints ith the lack of detail on the figures which is a double shame as they are really nicely posed miniatures; very natural, and well proportioned.

Thanks

David W

it is only a 60mm mortar you need to get some 81s off people like me who have them spare. As for size they work fine on the tabletop.A 20mm vehicle is an unusually
elastic sized creature in the wargaming world.As elsewhere size and scale often bear little relationship to each other. Don't over-think it.
as for points and NWE book.I don't know if anybody bothers with anymore.My advice is do things out of the Normandy Battlegroup book then you will have a solid basis to play others .all the thinking is done for you

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Return to Rapid Fire 2 Rules and gaming with them