Command Control in RF

A place to discuss the ever popular Rapid Fire rules. A place where to ask questions and to seek answers.

Command Control in RF

Postby David_W » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Gentlemen

I played in a very enjoyable RF game at CGS last Thursday evening; 1941 winter, Germans retreating in penny packets with Russians appearing from all over the place.

This greatly helped my understanding of a number of the mechanics of the rules, but did raise a major issue for me - apart for the written orders in the Advanced Rules, is there any real command control and command friction in the rules? And everyone could just wander off and do their own thing whenever and wherever they liked;it seemed unit cohesion was optional. Whatever I decided I wanted my brave, if frost bitten lads to do, they they did it. This felt wrong.

So what did I miss?

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Re: Command Control in RF

Postby soapdodger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Nothing really, Rapid fire does exactly what it says on the tin, hence the optional C&C rules rather than in the main body.

However, there is nothing to stop you adding in any C&C elements as you see fit, RF lends itself admirably to bolt ons and adaptions. Colin Rumford always said they are a starting point, and to adjust as you feel the need.

You could add in a leader figure (like Squad Leader) for each company, and if lost the company can no longer advance until replaced or a higher command element joins them.

You could add a higher command element rule, such that a company has to be within a certain distance of it to be able to move etc.

Kendo's excellent KGK adaptions used a command dice roll to generate number of moves available each turn if I remember correctly.

The possibilities are endless!
A momentary lapse of reason....
soapdodger
Lieutenant

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:34 pm

yes but sticking with them as is my current mantra.. just think telephones and radios, and the suppression test can spoil EVERYTHING

"We're playing a wargame not making a documentary." The Cardinal's 3rd Maxim

http://acorporalsguard.weebly.com/
Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby soapdodger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 pm

To be honest, we tend to do the same, and just use them as is too. and that suppression test can be a showstopper, get caught by an arty blat in the open and it's game over.........!
A momentary lapse of reason....
soapdodger
Lieutenant

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 pm

soapdodger wrote:To be honest, we tend to do the same, and just use them as is too. and that suppression test can be a showstopper, get caught by an arty blat in the open and it's game over.........!

yep everything goes to ground and girls it up.

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby David_W » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Read and understood the Suppression rules.

But that doesn't address then telepathic abilities of the commanders (aka the players). And as far as radios, telephones and such are concerned, it is is pretty clear that were were generally unreliable over anything other than short distances. And of course we then have issues around interpretation of the orders, especially in the heat of battle. Ask the British paratroops what they thought of radio comms at Arnhem.

I certainly wouldn't want to see complex or onerous rules, but I would a degree of uncertainty regarding the transmission of orders should be a given in any set of wargames rules no matter how "old school" they are trying to be. But of course this is just my humble opinion.

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby Blackwolf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Dave, I think you are overthinking this; Remember what the game is called. You are the Brigadier or what have you,no need for orders,that becomes micromanagement on what is essentially an tactical game and slows everything up.
Read some of the unit histories,read about the battles; often it ended up that there was no communication anyway(remember the hedgerows) ,junior officers and NCOs had to use their intiative(something that the Germans were rather good at).
It goes back to the premise of why play an game taking 6 hours when the historical action only took 60 minutes...It gets bogged down and dare I say it boring: Rapid Fire in name and play! And you can't go far wrong.
Blackwolf
Kornett

Postby David_W » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Blackwolf

Totally agree about the need for a fast paced game, hence my comment against silly complex command control rules. what I am talking about is simply adding some command friction. This does not have to slow the gem down, just add some doubt.

Yes I have read a lot about WWII small, medium and large actions over many years which is exactly why I raise the issue.

thx

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Postby Cardinal Hawkwood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 pm

David_W wrote:Read and understood the Suppression rules.

But that doesn't address then telepathic abilities of the commanders (aka the players). And as far as radios, telephones and such are concerned, it is is pretty clear that were were generally unreliable over anything other than short distances. And of course we then have issues around interpretation of the orders, especially in the heat of battle. Ask the British paratroops what they thought of radio comms at Arnhem.

I certainly wouldn't want to see complex or onerous rules, but I would a degree of uncertainty regarding the transmission of orders should be a given in any set of wargames rules no matter how "old school" they are trying to be. But of course this is just my humble opinion.

David W

they were unreliable.? The Brits communicated fairly well at Arnhem with each other by telephone and runner.That's what's happening in an RF game. RF is old school??? I think the orders thing would interrupt the natural flow of the game.I was quite happy with the second edition and quietly shelved the Rapid Kendo version with their arrival. There are only so many turns and you can accept that within any turn a lot is going on not necessarily replicated by game play other than in the abstract.In Goulburn we are going nowhere other than the rules as is.

Cardinal Hawkwood
Inhaber-Obrist

Postby David_W » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Fair enough Cardinal

Thx

David W
David_W
Lieutenant

Next